Tory-run Walsall Council has been accused of wasting taxpayers money after paying attendants to stand in lifts with faulty alarms.
Attendants have been deployed to lifts in the Council House and Civic Centre, with claims more than three agency staff are being paid to stand in the lifts all day.
The news comes as Tory-run Walsall Council’s reckless spending decisions are under the spotlight, with over £10 million spent on private consultants at the local authority.
Speaking to one local newspaper, Labour Councillor, Matt Ward said:
“Walsall Council are currently hiring at least three people to stand in the lifts all day.
“When the Tories cut the community alarms and had them turned off it also cut off the alarms in the lifts. What a complete waste of taxpayers money.”
Labour’s plan to sort out the Tories’ mess:
1. Labour will put council finances back on the right track, reviewing millions of pounds spent by the Tories on private consultants and freezing councillors’ allowances.
2. Labour will deliver the education our children deserve, guaranteeing a youth provision in every ward and giving young people a stronger voice in Walsall.
3. Labour will support an innovative approach to health and social care, boosting access to healthcare and reducing waiting times for mental health services.
4. Labour will build a borough of thriving traditional towns, introducing a ‘free after 3pm’ parking scheme in Walsall and investing in our district centres.
5. Labour will demand our fair share of new homes for Walsall, and strengthen enforcement action to provide cleaner, safer neighbourhoods.